Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Not-so-embroidery

I was reading this great tutorial I found, through browsing some of the past Handmade Holidays on Sew Mama Sew, about thread sketching. Basically it's the idea that you use your sewing machine to create free-form designs that look like sketches or a semi-embroidery. Some ladies at my church were making quilt squares to make a going away present for a family, so for my quilt square I decided to try it.

I found a design from a picture online that looked pretty and printed it to the size that I wanted. Then I put the paper design behind the fabric and traced it with a fabric pen. Then the sewing! I carefully went over the design twice. I say carefully, but with something semi-intricate I messed up in several places (some on purpose)... but this just helps it look more sketchy and authentic. It also helps to have your stitch setting to the shortest stitch so it looks more like a continuous line.



Let me know what you think! Have you tried this craft before? Share your pics too! I'd love to see!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty!! I'm working on an embroidery right now too. That's cool that you found your pattern from a picture online; it doesn't sound like it was a traditional "pattern". Great job! Oh and thanks for visiting my blog and for your comment!

    ReplyDelete